Saturday, March 27, 2010

It's supposed to be about the park, but.....

It's supposed to be about the Park, but I haven't been in a week. Ber has been my eyes and ears, and is doing a great job, but I miss seeing things with my own eyes. It's the continuing saga of my leg. I fell on the 17th, as described earlier. Excruciating pain in my butt and back of thigh. Managed to get home. Actually, I got outside the Park, had a coffee and a seat, and waited in the beautiful weather until Ber and JJ went home and came back with the car. Probably a first for me - not insisting, "I can do it!" So I was hobb ling around for a week, including the 4-mile hobble to the Grand Army Plaza Farmer's Marker last Saturday. It seemed to be getting a little bit better each day. Then on Wednesday THE BRUISE appeared. 13' long along the back of my leg. I though it was very impressive, especially since I'm only 60" tall. And it hurt more again. So on Thursday, I (with a lot of encouragement) finally went to the doctor. I don't like going to doctors, did I mention?

Luckily, it was not very bad news. I learned:
1. I had torn my muscles.
2. I have very strong muscles.
3. It took a week for the blood from the torn muscles to get out.
4. There was NO danger of a stray blood clot getting to my head or heart for a stroke or heart attack. Just because I don't like going to doctors doesn't mean I'm not a hypochondriac. Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds (Shaw).
5. I should be better in 2-3 weeks.
6. I didn't break anything or I couldn't have been hobbling around for a week.

Now, I know this is not a serious injury, but I can't seem to stop obsessing about it. Do generally healthy people make the worst patients? I have always been very healthy and very physical. Not for team sports - there was no Title 9 and therefore almost no team sports for girls when I was young. Also, I've never been one for teams. When I was stressed, I used to take my bike and ride for hours on random streets in the South Mountain area, trying to get lost, never did. Strong muscles and a good sense of direction. Probably how I got the strong muscles. Anyway, the bruise is under 12" today. Still hurts. hurts all the time. My doctor was not inclined to give me stronger medicine, although Aleve and Motrin and aspirin don't help much.

I did go to my gentle yoga on Thursday - it was a sort of "left-sided" yoga, but worthwhile - I could do a bit more than I thought. It's the right leg that got injured. That's probably all I have to say for now. Maybe forever. I have vented. It wasn't just my son that gave me no sympathy (The comment about most people my age would have broken a hip.) My doctor said pretty much the same thing. Can I help it that my expectations are still higher than not breaking a hip? My bar is not that low yet. The people in yoga were sympathetic, but they're in their 20's and can't imagine a genuine physical ailment. And Ber says that a torn muscle is like a knife wound, and it takes weeks to heal, and I should just take it easy. So reasonable, so rational, arrggh!!!

Anyway, back to the Park. There was a dead duck in the lake the other day (see photo). It looks like one of Cayuga's entourage (see other picture). The good news is there has been some action. Channel 11 had a news piece about the spate of dead animals in our corner of the park - there was also a dead blackbird and a crawfish in the water. The dead turtles, the chicken heads, the possible intestines, and an injured swan were also mentioned. The fire, not mentioned. Ann and Ed were on, looking and sounding very good. (Aside: I have noticed that non-professionals often come off looking and sounding like idiots on TV - they didn't, not at all). And there was Tupper Thomas (Head of Parks) saying there is nothing wrong. If a flying saucer landed, she'd say it was part of nature and not to worry.

The news report said the local precinct would be investigating. They suspect illegal dumping. And the lake water will be tested, because of the possible contaminants from the dead animals. Can't wait for those results.

The plan is for me to be back in the park in Monday. Meanwhile, I give you my forsythia bush. Planted in my garden last year, I love how sculptural it looks. Probably due to my philosophy of "Let it grow, I can always prune it later." I may have to prune it to a more traditional shape this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment