Saturday, January 7, 2012

Winter in the park---NOT



Coffee Bark in the Long Meadow today - 1st Saturday, and what a beautiful day it was. Feels like spring, not winter. Compare with last winter - 1/31/11 is my closest blog date. Snow, snow, snow and more snow. Cold days, winter boots, unplowed paths. Unlike today. I think the temperature was in the 50's, and I barely needed my winter coat - unzipped it after about 10 minutes. It was great to see so many happy people and their playful digs,

Sean Casey was there - they're making a movie about animal rescue and were out filming. I ducked out of sight of the camera, but donated a few dollars. Behind the scenes, that's me. Incidentally, that's pretty much why I decided to retire last year. My principal had called me in for a little talk about "teach and screech," a phrase I had never heard before. Apparently, it's not enough just to teach. "Teach and screech" means you have to do some other things to show that it was YOUR teaching that taught the student. I countered with one of my own favorite cliches, that I had always kind of believed in hiding my light beneath a bushel, not bragging or putting my self first. Not a philosophy that is very popular today. IU don't mind being spoken to about improving my teaching skills, but to be spoken to about my lack of bragging and self-importance? No thank you.

Anyway, we had a great long walk to the other side of the park and back, including Lookout Hill and an extra turn around the Nethermead. Here's a picture from last year, when we had snow, and a couple of pretty ones from this year. Tons of seagulls on the lake, but almost no geese. Has someone come in and slaughtered them again? I didn't think so, since they are not molting and are hard to catch, but we did see the anti-goose man and his dog the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment