Thursday, March 18, 2010

Teach about ducks, learn about turtles




Another beautiful day, but I was not in the park today - more about that later. Ber and JJ went, and came back with the following reports. The duck egg from yesterday was broken open (see bottom picture). Whether it was an accident or it got eaten, we'll never know. However, another egg was laid today. See second picture - it's sitting right on the middle tree root. (We've since figured out how to use the zoom on Ber's new camera) I think this duck is a little confused- maybe she'll find a more secluded spot soon. Maybe not. It's possible that her instincts tell her to lay the next egg near the last one. Don't think she realizes that she's laying them in the middle of Grand Central Station. As to the learning about turtles, research has been done! Apparently they must swim underwater to get food. So the turtle setting atop the phragmites (in yesterday's photos) was actually stuck. Anne had tried to go in to move it, but sank in the mud. Ber, wearing his waterproof hiking boots, ventured forth. Ed took charge of JJ and the backpack and Ber set out. He found sufficiently solid mud so that he only sank boot level, and got the turtle. Turtle's head went in, and stayed until quite a while after they put it down on the little boat launch by the lake. All three humans backed off, and eventually turtle's head came out and it was last seen swimming happily away in search of fresh food. Anne says the Park Ranger's exam has a question about this, so it's a very useful fact. Turtles Eat Underwater!! Teach about ducks, learn about turtles.

One crack bag, two condoms - it is not just ducks whose thoughts turn to love in the spring.

So, what happened yesterday was that I was prancing around on the top of Lookout Hill, going after a bit of trash that was off the path, put my foot down on some very uneven ground, twisted my leg and fell down hard. I felt ridiculous plus in great pain. Seemed to have pulled the muscle in the back of my thigh and bruised my backside. And I got very little sympathy. My son, who is normally quite sensitive and caring, said, "Most people your age break a hip when they fall." This is the aging part that I can't get used to. When I was young, I was quite limber and quick, mountain goat-like. In fact, when I backpacked around Europe for a year, I actually lived in an abandoned goat pen for a while. In Greece. Me and some fellow travelers that I had hooked up for a while (that's the 20th century definition of hooked, which didn't include sex) stayed there for a couple of weeks on the Greek island of Ios. Maybe 1/2 mile up from the beach on a twisted, bumpy path. Up means up - the view was spectacular. And never a fall. Fond memories of skipping down the the beach, grabbing a cold shower for a few cents from the lone motel, having coffee and yogurt with the lovely crust for breakfast, then swimming, playing, etc. all day. Another 1/2 mile into the town for dinner and maybe a little grocery shopping, then back up to our mountain shelter and a quiet moonlit night. Hmmmm. Now, I think if I exercise a bit more, do some yoga, and get back into shape, I will be like that again. Maybe not. Oddly enough, today there was an article in the Times on that very subject: Appreciating Your Value As You Age. It's more about plastic surgery and make-up than fitness. Never worried about that. i realized a long time ago that I was cute enough, but never had that kind of beauty that I worried about losing it. As long as I acted younger than my years I was fine. And my hair is now a bright reddish-orange, since gray makes my face look gray. Anyway, I am hobbling around today with a sore butt, and hopefully will be back in form tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment