Wednesday, November 17, 2010

After two gray and rainy days, looks like the whole park is enjoying the sun. Swan family, all six of them, look fine, curled up and basking in the sun. I love the way they curl their necks around and tuck their beaks into the feathers on their backs. Looks so cozy and comfy. I didn't see Grandpa, the Lone Swan, but I'm sure he's happily elsewhere - maybe by the boathouse.

Two cygnets were on land, the rest on water. One hissed at JJ when she got close. JJ is sensible and backs off. I'm convinced that there's 1 male cygnet and 3 females, mainly because there's only one who hisses and makes a display when JJ comes near.

I realized today that I've only been blogging since March, and I've never looked so carefully at what's happening this time of year. Masses and masses of beautifully colored leaves on the ground. JJ loves to roll on her back in the leaves. She is so happy, I think I'd like to join her. The ginkgo trees seem to be holding tightest to their leaves, which are a bright, garish yellow. Almost blinding in the sunlight. I prefer the darker tones of reds, oranges, and a little brown in my foliage preferences. I wonder if the same genes that makes the ginkgo a survivor from the Permian era (270 million years ago) make the leaves hold on so tightly.

Husband is back home from hospital, but may not get to the park for a while. He's on IV antibiotics, and caries his pump around with him - in a tasteful black bag, of course. We don't want to risk a friendly dog getting caught in one of the tubes. Meanwhile, JJ is SO HAPPY to have him home, and stays close.

No comments:

Post a Comment