Friday, June 3, 2011

Gorgeous, gorgeous day!!






This is undoubtedly becoming the most boring title EVER, but I can't help it. Love these days when it's not too hot or cold, not too humid, the sun is shining, birds are swimming and flying and swooping all over, and the park is actually clean. Well, it was a disaster last weekend, so now, after a week of seeing the official cleaners, the Community Service workers, lots of volunteers, and the odd singleton like myself picking up trash, PP looks great. The water is even clear, and Martin (from PP Alliance) was off to get the Police Barricades and other inappropriate things out of the lake, now that he can actually see them. Of course it's Friday, and the picnickers and BBQers will be out in force this weekend - we'll see what Monday looks like.

Not only did I miss the beautiful geese yesterday, I missed the WINS reporter. Hubby and daughter didn't, and here they are on the radio: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/03/pig-sty-in-prospect-park-residents-say-yes/. My, what a well spoken pair of people!! Even in the itty-bitty soundbite that WINS put on!!!

Basically, it was swan day for me. The new family was all around in the Lullwater near the Audubon Bridge, and I think I got some nice pictures. The singletons are at the Eastern end of the Lake (which I call the beach) just feeding and dipping and having a fine old time. I didn't notice geese, but will keep an eye out from now on. The family born near the Dog Beach in PP has moved or disappeared, and folks are worried. They were wondering if the family that N photoed yesterday is them (with only 1 gosling left) or another family altogether. I am clueless, but will keep counting and reporting.

Only 5 crack bags on Lookout Hill today, 17 the other day. And yes, I do pick them up to avoid double counting. And to keep the place looking a little nicer.

Martin says that this is the sixth year in a row that the geese have used that Dog Beach nest. I hope it continues. I saw him the other day to apologize to him. A few weeks ago we were talking about the addling, and he said he would never addle swan eggs. I didn't actually believe him. Not just him - with most people I need a little proof before I believe things. Anyway, since there are cygnets I felt the need to apologize. He was not offended (or at least didn't seem so) but is upset about other things being said. That Brooklyn paper video in particular. I think I had commented that he just showed the reporter pre-addled eggs and didn't addle any new ones. But people have accused him of "late addling" and "incorrect addling" because of it. Did they not see the video? Did they not understand the video? Did they not care about reality and the truth? It's a shame. He was NOT the one who called in the geese-murderers last year, and he is trying to take care of the lake. We don't always agree, but he has done a hell of a lot of positive things and should be given credit for them.

One last depressing note: Looks like Candleman has moved on. No candles for quite a while now, and there is a dried up pile of what looks like human poop in what was his ceremonial space. Candleman: I am thinking of you and hope that your hopes come true.

1 comment:

  1. I am one of the people who was critical of the egg addling video and yes, I did watch it several times.

    It is one thing to destroy eggs when there are almost 400 geese in the park. Its quite another to harass these animals and destroy their eggs when there are barely a dozen in the entire park.

    It was awful to watch the gander trying to defend his mate and eggs, while the person doing the reporting laughed about it. Sorry, but I just don't see anything amusing about harassing wildlife and destroying eggs. Would we have thought it funny had "Michael" oiled the swan eggs and then laughed over the male trying to defend?

    Some of us are sick about the geese being used as whipping posts for all that is wrong in the world.

    With so few geese at PP now, WHY ARE THEY STILL BEING HARASSED? And why are people being quiet about it?

    People at PP should be aware that mute swans are on government hit lists, along with geese. They are labeled "an invasive species."

    I GUARANTEE to you and others that unless people speak up for the geese NOW, that next year the swan's eggs WILL be oiled OR when their population gets a bit bigger, they too, will be rounded up and gassed.

    Today the geese, tomorrow the swans.

    Would love to know what happened to the goose family whose eggs were oiled, but six goslings hatched anyway.

    Are we now down to only one gosling?

    If so, that is not normal.

    It is truly despicable the way these geese have been endlessly persecuted. I cannot understand how most people stand back and accept such blatant and egregious animal cruelty as well as buy all the lies to support and rationalize it.

    At some point, we need to open our eyes and realize what is really going on.

    I would not feel very confident about those swans. Their days are numbered, too.

    ReplyDelete