Saturday, April 2, 2011

4 cormorants 4










Actually, I didn't see them today (geese and ducks took over the log today), but I have been informed by my readers that they are in fact cormorants, not egrets. Thank you. I feel really bad about not recognizing them, since we saw many when we were vacationing on the Gaspe Peninsula last summer. Even went and used the free Internet in the Visitor's Center to learn more about them. Starting to worry about my memory. Oh well, I haven't put my keys in the freezer yet. Anyway, I do appreciate the corrections although, after this and the Lincoln/Poe incident, I probably should rename this blog the "Find the factual error" blog. Maybe offer a prize? Really, the satisfaction of knowing you have spread knowledge and enlightenment in the world is about the best I can offer.

I also made a semi-joking comment about hoping Bloomberg won't have them (the egrets/cormorants) gassed too. Sadly, it is no joke (thanks, Bonnie). Did some research. Apparently, cormorants have been considered a pest for years, especially in the midwest area of this continent. And why? BECAUSE THEY COMPETE FOR FISH WITH THE FISHERMAN!!!!!!! In 1999, American guides were actually arrested for killing over 2,000 cormorants near the American shore of Lake Ontario. And now I find that Canada has been "culling" (their word for killing) thousands of them for several years now, in spite of protests from their citizens and an organization called Cormorant Defenders International http://www.zoocheck.com/cormorant/?id=14. I found this absolutely shocking. Canada? Land of Nice? I have always considered America the embodiment of what I call the 'John Wayne School of Diplomacy" (Step 1: Shoot and kill). Sadly, it's not just us. Not to go off on too much of a tangent, there's a Canadian guy named Al who keeps sponsoring illegal coyote killing contests, and the authorities don't seem to do anything about it. Of course the prize Al gives away is a gun. Sigh.

On the more local subject of our geese...yes, I do think there were too many of them last summer. In my entries last summer, I kept referring to them as Nazis, partly because they had taken over the lake and driven the swans and ducks away to the Audubon boat house, partly to their habit of, well, goosestepping when they walked. These were supposed to be migrating birds who stopped migrating and moved in. There were about 5 flocks of them, and it really was too much. I didn't want them killed, but I did think we needed to limit the growth of the population in a humane way. Which is why I pretty much like the recent recommendations about the egg-oiling, plantings, no feeding, and occasional use of dogs

Today in the park

I actually haven't been in a few days. Two reasons. One: hubby had to go in for minor surgery, which ended up in a two day stay in the hospital. Two: weather was not conducive. Even JJ didn't want to go. Yesterday, I needed spring so badly I went to Macy's for the flower show which, by the way, was pretty nice and cheerful. Back on track today.

Sure signs of Spring: Clumps of daffodils everywhere. Big bike race. Also, the FIDO Coffee Bark, which has been moved slightly downhill to the Long Meadow, was very well attended. We walked all the way there and back, and even stopped at the Grand Army Greenmarket for some of Rick's Pick's low sodium pickles. On the way back, we saw a group of Girl Scouts gathering at the Asian Pagoda for a day of tree planting and gardening in the Park. Good for them! Also a group of young runners training to be Marines. So vigorous and proud! Couldn't tell if they were actual Marines or some kind of Junior ROTC, but they were doing great on this very beautiful day in the park.

Filming alert: Boardwalk Empire will be filming Monday, 6 AM to 8 PM, around the house with the big wraparound porch on the SE corner of the Argyle/Albemarle intersection. Cameras already in place.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know that it is either accurate or fair to blame geese for chasing off swans last year at PP. I have seen geese and swans living very peacefully with each other, though understand that is not always the case.
    Saw a video on YouTube some months ago of parent geese having to protect baby goslings from attacking swans.
    Swans are much larger than geese and quite frankly, are usually a lot bolder. It could be that your swans last year felt a little overwhemled by the geese and simply wanted their own space.
    Also, I believe it wrong to refer to any animals as "nazis." Certainly, there is no animal on earth that could possible wreak the havoc and destruction that the nazis did to other humans.
    Finally, referring to harassing of the geese and egg oiling. That would have certainly been a more humane option last year, (presuming there were "too many geese" at PP)than gassing. But, from what I saw at PP last week, there did not seem any overpopulation of the species now.
    If harassment and egg destruction is done now, that would just seem to result in emptying the park of any and all geese.
    That, in turn leads to other geese flying in at some point.
    Its a shame we cannot learn to live peacefully with other animals even when they sometimes interfere with our other pursuits (such as you point out in killing thousands of commarates when they "compete" with fisherman).
    Well, why can't we live peacefully with geese even though they sometimes tread on our turf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear PattyA: You are absolutely right about this year - there is no overpopulation or goose problem now. About last year: well, we can agree to disagree about my occasional overheated prose. I know we both have the well-being of the water fowl at heart.

    ReplyDelete