Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ready for the fishing season


Here's Tony, the President of FIDO, getting ready for the upcoming season of fishing, fishing lines left on the ground, in the trees, and around the waterfowl. Net and grabber at the ready! Hopefully, we will lose no birds to hooks and line left by careless fisherpeople this year. I love that Tony cares as much about the birds as the dogs. There are FIDO people who hate the water fowl and birders who hate the dogs, and Tony can name names and tell you exactly who's who. We are united in the concept that the park is for ALL creatures.

I will do regular counts of the geese and swans, so we can keep track. Ducks and gulls as much as I can. As I said, the geese seem to be concentrated in two areas. It's awfully hard to walk around the lake these days - on part of the path you have to walk on hay bales around the Lakeside fencing. Pictures coming in the future.

Yes, I did see all 6 swans. The parents were hanging out south of what I'm calling the main beach. The main beach would be the area closest to Vanderbilt playground, full of nannies and children on nice days. To the south is an area that is a little more secluded and closer to the Park Circle entrance. I don't think the swans have nested yet. Remember, last year's clutch were born on May 21. Mute swans incubate about 35 days, which would mean it starts at April 17. But these numbers are not set in stone, and I think it needs to be a little warmer to lay eggs. As I recall from my farm years, ducks (we didn't have swans) lay an egg a day for a number of days before they start setting on them, and the weather has to be warm enough. I used to find the nest and take all the eggs but one, so the ducks would continue to lay in the same place and we'd have lovely duck egg omelets. (Pause to reminisce). Anyway, one of the cygnets does seem to be separated from the other 3. It's why I think there's one male and 3 females - one of them was always more aggressive, more inclined to spread wings, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Fishing has increased at least five fold over the past few years at Harlem Meer, creating a menance for the bird life there. At least two geese last summer crippled from fishing line ensnared around the legs. Unfortunately, park rangers were not able to get the injured geese due to them being especially wary and able to fly.

    I would be cautious if I were you, about the swans. You know, mute swans are under attack by government along with the geese. Same claims against them. "Invasive," pushing out other species and destructive to environment. If these swans breed every year at PP that could result in a swan culling some years down the line. -- Just a word of caution.

    ReplyDelete