Thursday, October 6, 2011

R. I. P. Beautiful old tree and Steve Jobs







Well, the tree was taken care of yesterday. It was pretty hollow, but I still think it should have been left up. It occupied a VERY un-utilized corner of the Nethermead. Today, a tractor was starting to remove the pieces when we were there.

Otherwise, a beautiful day. Migratory geese seeing actually migrating.

Keep thinking about Steve Jobs - the man was an era. In 1975 B. and I went to Atlantic City for a computer convention,. This was before gambling - A.C. was pretty run down. B. had a brand new thing - a computer called an Imsai, small enough to own and keep in one's home. No printer, no screen, no keyboard. You had to flick switches to get programming into it.

I went horseback riding on the beach and popped into the convention. So many nerds! It was fun, but I couldn't imagine why anyone would ever want a computer in their home. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were there - 2 teenager nerds among about 4,000 - and Gates took the stage at one point to yell at everybody for not sending him money when they used Basic (a computer language).

I look back and marvel at the incredible changes in the world since then. We have about 5 computers in the house now, and I cannot imagine life without one. And I'm not particularly computer literate. And we owe so much of it to Steve Jobs!! He changed the world. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment