Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tree stories






So nice that it hasn't been hot and humid and muggy for days! Beautiful fall weather - some rain, just enough so that I can't seem to get the lawn mowed, but not enough to make me miserable. We just may have to put the furnace on in a week or so!

Lookout Hill had been seriously barricaded this past week. A tree had fallen to an angle over the path. The park, I guess was afraid it would fall and put up more than one barricade and some yellow tape to stop people from walking/running underneath it. So now - the tree has fallen! Barricades still there, but the path is no longer dangerous, so various Brooklynites have cleared the way. I wonder what will happen next - the tree is 1/2way up the hill, and I don't think any truck will make it up or down the stairs to remove it. For us, not runners, it makes a nice seat halfway up.

Other tree event - large truck driving up to a beautiful old tree on the edge of the Nethermead. I took photos, along with someone else who said he was from a Brooklyn Paper, and said that they were going to take care of the tree. How nice, I thought. I think I am becoming very old-fashioned. I asked him later - apparently "taking care" means killing it and cutting it down, not making sure it has appropriate nutrition, pruning, etc. I certainly hope my kids don't "take care" of me like that when I'm old and little sick.

The 5 cygnets born this spring are about 1/3 white already - seems to have happened so fast!

1 comment:

  1. There maybe a few trees 'taken care of'. You can blame the glory hound duo for that scaremongering.

    M

    ReplyDelete