Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Low Flying Swans!








So exciting! I finally got a video of some flying swans! This flying wasn't very high, and the landing not as impressive as the ones I'd seen before, but it's a start. Now I have to get my hand steadier and adjust the movement of the camera to align with the birds. Still I think it's a good start.

Right now we only see 5 swans on the lake. We think there are six - no longer 10. The visiting couple and the lone stranger from the winter seemed to have moved on, and of course one died. Remaining should be two grown females, two grown males, and two adolescent cygnets. One mating pair is accounted for - the nesting pen (name for a female) and the guardian cob (male). The second male was swimming on the lake today, but the second pen seems to be missing. Her cob was seen lately near the Boathouse, so I'm hoping that she has found a well-hidden nesting spot. Hopefully she will show up with baby cygnets in a few weeks, but of course I'm being wildly optimistic.

The Center of the World is still there atop Lookout Hill, but slightly re-arranged. The Grey Goose bottle is gone, so there will be no close-up. Nesting pen was napping on her nest. She lets the ducks get very close, but they stay in the water and don't go on the floating phragmite island upon which her nest is built. Another duck egg sits forlornly by the side of the lake. I'm considering bringing it home and cooking it, since it won't survive there anyway. Need to bring an egg carton to transport it safely.
Other park activity: a bit more police presence in his golf cart. The wood chips from all the recycled Christmas trees and downed trees are being spread by the lakeside. I think it will be much nicer to walk on, and keep the soil from getting so compressed. And a guy with a metal detector! He was turning the soil, so I asked if he'd found anything good - a penny! I think this is great, since I remember when you could actually buy something with a penny. Weather cool, overcast, perfect for long walking, 2 1//2 hours in all!

No comments:

Post a Comment