Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Live frog, dead turtle, another fire










Thia is actually a combination of yesterday and today. Is there anyone reading this who can enlighten me as to the protocol, if any, about blogging? Can one fudge the truth and attribute one day's actions to another? Or am I being ridiculously old school, caring about truth and accuracy and all those things that seem to have gone out the window lately? Anyway, yesterday we saw all three of the title things. Another group of phragmites, this time on the south side of the lake, was burnt. Could be deliberate or people partying. Don't know, don't care. Looks bad, smells worse. The dead baby turtle was nearby. The frog was on the other side of the pond. We weren't exactly sure if it was dead or alive, so I touched it VERY GENTLY with a stick, and he (she?) jumped about a foot, and startled the heck out of me. So good to see life!! Likwise, all the flowers in the neighborhood are blooming - the first red tulips are out, rhodies everywhere, and all the daffodils! Especially in front of the boarded up, foreclosed house - how poignant - life goes on.

In the park, we did see many live turtles besides the poor dead baby. There were five lined up, single file, on a branch in the water near the Lullwater Bridge. I got so excited! Made noise, scared them off before I could take a picture. I need to work on my "quietly sneaking up" skills.

Very exciting scene: Two park workers doing a great job cleaning up. Truly a start of spring! We chatted with them, told them I was one of those bitchy people who complained about the trash, and was thrilled about what a great job they were doing. I know this probably sounds disgustingly patronizing, but I really was impressed, as they explained the skill involved in doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment