Tuesday, February 15, 2011

If it weren't for the weather...





We'd have nothing to talk about. I thought this was a quote from somewhere, but I have googled it in many permutations, but couldn't find the source. So think I'll take credit for writing this profound thought. Heck, why not. So, yesterday it got up to 60o. Spring was in the air, the ice and snow still on the sidewalks was melting like crazy. JJ and I even broke into running several times! So nice - I've been hobbling around like a non-spry nonagenarian for the last month, at least, terrified of slipping on the ice, breaking something, etc. Very reassuring to know I'm not there yet. Today, of course, it's back in the 20's. The melting snow has re-frozen, and I'm back to my cautious hobbling.

The ice on the grass near the lake has thawed a lot, and we finally got close to the lakeside for pictures of the Swan family and all the other waterfowl. The cygnets are about 75% white-feathered, and there are some mallards with gorgeous, shiny purple heads/necks in addition to the teal ones.

Something curious: The fields covered with Astroturf are only about half-covered with snow now, while the fields still covered in actual grass are still 100% snow covered. I'm sure there's some thermal/physical explanation, but I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment