Friday, July 29, 2011

Ah! the power of fans!

We've been going to the park, but for some reason I've not been able to sit and write about it. Then, today, some people asked me why I hadn't written about some of Wednesday's activities. Cured whatever mini-writer's block I was having.

So, Wednesday morning was cool, clear, perfect. I'm not the only one commenting about the weather. Someone told me it is 80% of the e-mail conversations these days (rumor, not fact). Anyway, it was so nice that everyone was out. Two of my neighbors - 1 watering, 1 reading the paper - at 715 AM, We talked with both and had to tear ourselves away or we would never have gotten to the off-leash hours. Many, many people in the park, all enjoying the beautiful morning and catching up on talking and gossip and news.

The news:

1. Latest goose rescue: One of the geese was spotted looking quite ill. David, Mary Beth and Rina (from FIDO and For the Love of Geese) managed to catch it, and drive the bird to the animal sanctuary out in Riverhead. They sent me some adorable pictures of the goose on the road trip, which I shall try to post here. Bird arrived safely. Today, we learned it probably had botulism, from bad food thrown into the lake. Nice rescue, and it's great to see people working co-operatively

2. Fish poacher was actually arrested! He'd been caught before, dumped his bag of 3o-40 fish into the lake and ran off. A few days ago he was caught again, and actually ticketed! Again, with 30-40 fish in a bag. And with botulism in the lake!! From what I heard, the park police might have let him ago, but he got nasty. Good. I hope he is fined the thousands of dollars that he should be, and stops poaching. And that the case gets lots of publicity. One article with a lot of misinformation in the Brooklyn Paper so far.

Trying to be stern. It's hard. If he only had 1 or 2 fish, I'd be sympathetic and concerned that the guy was just hungry. But 40! I wonder if he sells them. I wonder if he makes other Brooklynites sick. Then, I was thinking back to my lawyer days at Legal Aid. If I was assigned to a Prospect Park fish poacher..... I think we all would just have laughed so hard. The view is so different no that I spend a lot of time in the park.

3. Park looking great. The lake had been dredged and cleaned the day before. Not perfect, but much better to look at and smell. Vive Emily Lloyd!

No comments:

Post a Comment