Saturday, March 12, 2011

Year Two






So, I've been blogging a whole year, and this is the start of year 2. I can't help but wonder if this will be a repeat of last year's observations. So far, absolutely not. A year ago, the Lake was just thawed, there were 10 swans, with a lot of people feeding them. Trash was everywhere, including dead, headless chickens and other disgusting things. Now, we have 6 swans, all in one family, and we know exactly who they are. The lake's been clear for a while, and no one is feeding them.
spring is really here. I have to say that B and I were very snarky on Groundhog Day, when Staten Island Chuck came out of his hole during an overcast rainy day and didn't see his shadow and didn't bite the mayor. But it looks like Chuck was right!

Two egrets today! One larger, one smaller. The big one was spreading his wings and showing his stuff to all the ducks and the second egret- mating behavior? Also, very loud bird noises on the way to the park, with two grey birds circling and circling each other - more mating behavior.

I started my trash collection again today, going up Lookout Hill. Only 3 crack bags, but a bunch of cans, bottles, mittens, cardboard. And we saw another person with a trash collection bag at the top of the hill! Lovely to see. And we ran into (not literally) my yoga instructor jogging over the hill. Oh well, he's young and far more energetic than us.

I think JJ managed to find the only bit of snow left in the park - in a shady spot near the Nethermead. We came back along the Lullwater - water completely melted. And there was some wood that yesterday's artiste left to dry. Very artistically arranged, I must say. Can you see the head on one of the pieces of wood? I did.

1 comment:

  1. A belated Happy Bloggiversary! I'm on year 3 in the park, and it never gets old.

    ReplyDelete